Why Electric Fencing?
How does an electric fence work?
Electric fence is a psychological barrier that keeps animals in and wild animals and predators out and Gallagher fences are no different. A pulse of electric current is sent along the fence wire, about one pulse per second, from an energizer which is grounded. When the animal touches the fence, it completes the circuit between the fence and the ground and receives a short, sharp but safe shock. The shock is sufficiently memorable that the animal never forgets.
Because it is a psychological barrier, it does not require great physical strength. However, it must be well designed and constructed to absorb some pressure from animals, snow and wind. The energizer must have enough power for the length of the fence and for the animals being controlled.
Advantages of electric fence
- Affordable: Electric fence is 50% less expensive to build and maintain than barbed wire, according to the 2005 study by Iowa State University on estimated costs for livestock fencing.
- Easily constructed
- Low maintenance
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable – due to low physical contact
- Easily modified or expanded
- Keeps animals in and predators out
To choose the right Gallagher products for your project determine:
- What animals do you want to keep in or keep out?
- How many miles or acres of fence will you build?
- What power source will you use?
- Gallagher has 110 Volt, battery or solar powered energizers
- Do you need a Permanent, Portable or Offset fence?
- Permanent electric fence
- Portable fence
- Offset fence
For more information, including how to install your electric fence, download the Gallagher Power Fence Manual
Animal control is perhaps the most widely recognized reason for power fencing. Not only does power fencing keep domestic animals and livestock contained, it has various other important uses, including:
- Keeping wild animals out
- Separating different groups of animals
- Allowing rationing of crops and pasture
- Fencing animals off from eroding areas, trees, rivers and roads
Power fencing has revolutionized pasture management techniques and better pasture management means better profitability for farmers. Permanent or portable power fences are used to subdivide pasture to ensure even distribution of manure over grazing areas. In this way, pastures are kept fresh, short and palatable which ultimately leads to increased milk and meat production. If you are interested in finding out more about pasture management techniques.
Other key benefits of power fencing:
- Easily constructed and maintained
- Durable, because of low physical contact
- Light weight and easily transported
- Easily modified
- Less animal hide and pelt damage
- Deterrent to trespassers and predators
For convenient, economical animal control, improved pasture management and more profitable farming, a Gallagher fences are the trusted solution.